Business update: Border controls
From 4pm on Tuesday 24 March 2020, strict border controls will apply in the Northern Territory (NT) for all access points by road, rail, air and sea.
What the restrictions mean
If you are a non-essential traveller arriving at a NT border, you must self-quarantine for 14 days unless your situation is covered by an exemption category.
You must be able to prove your status as an essential traveller before you will be granted an exemption from self-quarantine.
What will happen when you arrive
Anyone seeking to enter the NT must fill in a border arrival form to declare:
- where you have travelled in the last 30 days
- your personal and contact details
- information about where you intend to stay whilst in the Territory.
Get the border arrival form (PDF 380.3 KB).
This form will also be available at border access points.
Who is exempt
Some people are exempt from the requirement to self-quarantine including:
- national and NT security and governance
- health and emergency services
- transport, freight and logistics
- defence and policing
- flight crews and freight - with strict guidelines in place to monitor and manage this
- people with specialist skills that are critical to maintaining key government services, industries or businesses.
Read more about the exemption categories on the Coronavirus website.
Apply for an exemption
An exemption may be granted on compassionate or medical grounds.
Find out how to apply for an exemption on the Coronavirus website.
Rules for freight coming into the Northern Territory
Freight will continue to come in and out of the Territory. This will not impact the delivery of essential goods and services.
Food and freight including petrol will continue. Supermarkets and stores will remain supplied.
Rules for fly-in fly-out (FIFO) workers
If you are a Territory resident FIFO worker and believe you fall into one of the essential traveller categories, you can apply for an exemption on the Coronavirus website.
View more information on border controls on the Coronavirus website.