About major projects in the Northern Territory
Major projects are significant contributors to the economic development of the Northern Territory (NT) including through the creation of jobs and business opportunities.
These projects may be either:
- private sector initiated projects, or
- government facilitated projects.
The Strategic Infrastructure and Projects team in the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation leads the coordination, development and implementation of whole-of-government policies, strategies and major projects that drive diversity, productivity, development and participation in the NT economy.
The NT already has a track record of securing investment from proponents who look beyond the short term for significant investment opportunities.
Some of the world’s largest resource projects are located in the NT, including the $37 billion INPEX-led Ichthys LNG project.
The NT Government awards major project status to private sector initiated projects that are significant, complex and have strategic impact.
In early 2017, the NT Government reviewed and updated the major project status policy framework following a comprehensive consultative process. The revised framework sets out the process and requirements for major project status.
The objectives of the major project status are to:
- attract and promote secure private sector investment to broaden and deepen the NT economy, and
- assist the timely and effective delivery of major projects through efficient and consistent government processes.
For the project proponent, the benefits of major project status include whole of government support, coordination and facilitation, assistance in identifying and mapping regulatory approvals, a dedicated project case manager and facilitation of engagement with the Australian Government through a central and single point of contact.
The benefits of major projects for the NT include:
- local business engagement in the project
- attraction of new business to the NT
- skills development and jobs for Territorians
- expansion of the investor pool.
Since 2001, the NT has adopted a case management approach for projects that have been awarded major project status.
The major project status policy framework sets out the information government requires to assess applications for major project status.
Project proponents should familiarise themselves with the information required before submitting an application for major project status. Read more about the major project status policy framework.
For enquiries relating to major project status, contact Strategic Infrastructure and Projects by phone 08 8999 6229 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The following private sector initiated projects currently have major project status:
- Ammaroo Phosphate Project - Verdant Minerals Limited
- Alice Springs Hospital Accommodation - Whittaker Street Developments
- Berrimah Farm redevelopment - Halikos Group
- Bladin Point expansion - INPEX
- Bonaparte Gas Project - Engie
- Chandler Salt Mine - Tellus Holdings
- Jervois Copper-Silver-Gold Project - KGL Resources Limited
- Mount Peake Mine and Metals Processing Facility - TNG Limited
- Mount Todd Gold Mine - Vista Gold
- Nolan's Bore Rare Earths - Arafura Resources Limited
- Prelude FLNG - Shell
- Project Sash - Sun Cable Pty Limited
- Project Sea Dragon - Seafarms Group Limited
- Wonarah Phosphate - Avenira Limited.
Government facilitated projects are projects that have the capacity to deliver significant benefits for the NT, but which are not sufficiently attractive to secure timely development by the private sector.
The NT Government aims to partner with the private sector to deliver these transformative projects.
Current government facilitated projects, categorised by stage of development, include:
Phase 1 (identify and scope) projects
- Mount Isa to Tennant Creek railway
Phase 2 (develop business case) projects
- Super yacht facilities
- Luxury lodge accommodation
- Alice Springs tourism commercial development
Phase 3 (secure private investment) projects
- Seniors lifestyle accommodation - Alice Springs, Darwin and Darwin rural
- Darwin Ship Lift and Marine Industry Project
Phase 4 (deliver project) projects
- Westin - Darwin luxury hotel development
Phase 5 (contract management) projects
- Jemena - Northern Gas Pipeline
- INPEX Ichthys LNG project
- Darwin Port lease.
Last updated: 09 October 2019