Student eligibility VET policy
This policy sets out the basic criteria for Northern Territory (NT) students and apprentices / trainees undertaking vocational education and training in a Northern Territory Government supported place.
This policy applies to NT students undertaking vocational education and training (VET) with a registered training organisation (RTO) or group training organisation that receives NT Government funding from 2019.
Individual VET programs funded by the NT Government may have additional student eligibility requirements.
Students must be:
- an Australian citizen, permanent Australian resident or a New Zealand citizen who has resided in Australia for a minimum of six months and is a NT resident
- at least 15 years of age, be identified as disengaged from school and have the skills and capabilities to undertake training and to actively engage in employment
- an Australian visa holder:
- without work or study restrictions
- who is not the primary provisional visa holder of a skilled, business innovation and investment, student, work or holiday visa identified on the Department of Home Affairs website, including the subclass 489 and subclass 188 visas, and without work or study restrictions
- whose visa is valid for the duration of the apprenticeship / traineeship or training allowing for the total volume of learning including supervised and unsupervised training and study required to achieve the qualification.
Visa entitlements and conditions must be verified by the prospective student with formal documentation issued by the Australian Department of Home Affairs and through the Visa Entitlement Verification Online Service
Visa requirements, features and allowances are administered by the Australian Government and are subject to change; eligibility must be verified before finalising enrolment or signing a contract.
Apprentices and trainees are excluded from accessing VET funding through RTOs if they are employed by a NT or Australian government agency or employed through a group training arrangement and hosted to a NT or Australian government agency or business division.
This policy will be reviewed annually.
Signed on 7 June 2018 by:
Last updated: 30 January 2019