Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Both the regional employer nominating the position under Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) and the overseas national being nominated must meet a range of eligibility criteria.
For detailed information on the RSMS go to the Department of Home Affairs website
For an employer to be eligible to nominate a position under RSMS it must:
- be operating an active and lawful business in regional Australia
- have a genuine need for a paid employee to fill a skilled position
- offer a genuine, skilled position in the applicant's field of expertise that is full-time and ongoing for at least two years
Note: the two years employment is calculated from the date of grant of the RSMS permanent residence visa by Department of Home Affairs to the overseas nominee
- offer no less than a market rate salary and employment terms and conditions that accord with those provided to Australian citizens and permanent residents in a similar position
- offer no less that the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT); currently (28 March 2018) the TSMIT is $53,900 per annum
- comply with all relevant Australian immigration and workplace relations laws
- nominate a skilled position on the applicable occupation list; for applications to the Department of Home Affairs for approval of a nomination made:
- on or after 18 March 2018 go to IMMI 18/043: Specification of Occupations - Subclass 187 visas
- before 18 March 2018 go to IMMI 17/058: Occupations for Subclass 187 visas
For an overseas national to be sponsored under RSMS under the Direct Entry stream the business must have the skills, qualifications and language requirements required for that visa stream.
The employee must have:
- qualifications and skills relevant to the nominated occupation
- if the employee's qualifications are obtained from outside Australia, where required, a positive skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority is mandatory, for the full list of occupations go to the Legislative Instrument
- competent English (IELTS 6.0 in each band or equivalent)
- three years relevant work experience
- not yet turned 45 years old, except if transitional arrangements or limited exemptions apply.