About major projects in the Northern Territory
Major projects are significant contributors to the economic development of the Northern Territory (NT) including through the creation of jobs and business opportunities.
These projects may be either:
- private sector initiated projects, or
- government facilitated projects.
The Strategic Infrastructure and Projects team in the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation leads the coordination, development and implementation of whole-of-government policies, strategies and major projects that drive diversity, productivity, development and participation in the NT economy.
The NT already has a track record of securing investment from proponents who look beyond the short term for significant investment opportunities.
Some of the world’s largest resource projects are located in the NT, including the $37 billion INPEX-led Ichthys LNG project.
Major Project Status
The Northern Territory Government awards Major Project Status to private sector initiated projects that are significant, complex and have strategic impact.
In early 2017, the NT Government reviewed and updated the Major Project Status Policy Framework following a comprehensive consultative process. The revised framework sets out the process and requirements for Major Project Status.
The objectives of the Major Project Status are to:
- attract and promote secure private sector investment to broaden and deepen the NT economy, and
- assist the timely and effective delivery of major projects through efficient and consistent government processes.
For the project proponent, the benefits of major project status include whole of government support, coordination and facilitation, assistance in identifying and mapping regulatory approvals, a dedicated project case manager and facilitation of engagement with the Australian Government through a central and single point of contact.
The benefits of major projects for the NT include:
- local business engagement in the project
- attraction of new business to the NT
- skills development and jobs for Territorians
- expansion of the investor pool.
Since 2001, the NT has adopted a case management approach for projects that have been awarded Major Project Status.
The Major Project Status Policy Framework sets out the information government requires to assess applications for Major Project Status.
Project proponents should familiarise themselves with the information required before submitting an application for Major Project Status. Read more about the major project status policy framework.
For enquiries relating to Major Project Status, contact Strategic Infrastructure and Projects on (08) 8999 6095 or email@example.com
Current private sector projects
The following private sector initiated projects currently have Major Project Status:
- Ammaroo Phosphate Project - Verdant Minerals Limited
- Berrimah Farm redevelopment - Halikos Group
- Bladin Point expansion - INPEX
- Bonaparte Gas Project - Engie
- Chandler Salt Mine - Tellus Holdings
- Darwin LNG expansion - ConocoPhillips
- Jervois Copper-Silver-Gold Project - KGL Resources Limited
- Mount Peake Mine and Metals Processing Facility - TNG Limited
- Mount Todd Gold Mine - Vista Gold
- Nolan's Bore Rare Earths - Arafura Resources Limited
- Prelude FLNG - Shell
- Project Sea Dragon - Seafarms Group Limited
- Wonarah Phosphate - Avenira Limited.
Current government facilitated projects
Government facilitated projects are projects that have the capacity to deliver significant benefits for the NT, but which are not sufficiently attractive to secure timely development by the private sector.
The NT Government aims to partner with the private sector to deliver these transformative projects.
Current government facilitated projects, categorised by stage of development, include:
Phase 1 (identify and scope) projects
- Mount Isa to Tennant Creek railway
Phase 2 (develop business case) projects
- Alice Springs tourism commercial development
- Seniors lifestyle accommodation - Alice Springs, Darwin and Darwin rural
Phase 3 (secure private investment) projects
Phase 4 (deliver project) projects
- Westin - Darwin luxury hotel development
- Jemena - Northern Gas Pipeline
Phase 5 (contract management) projects
- INPEX Ichthys LNG project
- Darwin Port lease.
You can access the below websites for more information on the NT:
Last updated: 04 December 2018