Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
About major projects in the Northern Territory
Major projects are significant contributors to the economic development of the Northern Territory (NT) including through the creation of jobs and business opportunities.
These projects may be either:
- private sector initiated projects, or
- government facilitated projects.
The Strategic Infrastructure and Projects team in the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation leads the coordination, development and implementation of whole-of-government policies, strategies and designated projects that drive diversity, productivity, development and participation in the NT economy.
The NT already has a track record of securing investment from proponents who look beyond the short term for significant investment opportunities.
Some of the world’s largest resource projects are located in the NT, including the $37 billion INPEX-led Ichthys LNG project.
Major Project Status
The Northern Territory Government awards Major Project Status to private sector initiated projects that are significant, complex and have strategic impact.
In early 2017, the NT Government reviewed and updated the Major Project Status Policy Framework following a comprehensive consultative process. The revised framework sets out the process and requirements for Major Project Status.
The objectives of the Major Project Status are to:
- attract and promote secure private sector investment to broaden and deepen the NT economy, and
- assist the timely and effective delivery of major projects through efficient and consistent government processes.
For the project proponent, the benefits of major project status include whole of government support, coordination and facilitation, assistance in identifying and mapping regulatory approvals, a dedicated project case manager and facilitation of engagement with the Australian Government through a central and single point of contact.
The benefits of major projects for the NT include:
- local business engagement in the project
- attraction of new business to the NT
- skills development and jobs for Territorians
- expansion of the investor pool.
Since 2001, the NT has adopted a case management approach for projects that have been awarded Major Project Status.
The Major Project Status Policy Framework sets out the information government requires to assess applications for Major Project Status.
Project proponents should familiarise themselves with the information required before submitting an application for Major Project Status. Read more about the major project status policy framework.
For enquiries relating to Major Project Status, contact Strategic Infrastructure and Projects on (08) 8999 6095 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Current private sector project
The following private sector projects currently have Major Project Status:
- Nolan's Bore Rare Earths - Arafura Resources
- Wonarah Phosphate - Avenira Limited
- Darwin LNG expansion - ConocoPhillips
- Bonaparte Gas Project - Engie
- Berrimah Farm redevelopment - Halikos Group
- Ichthys LNG - INPEX
- Bladin Point expansion - INPEX
- Northern Gas Pipeline - Jemena Northern Gas Pipeline Pty Ltd
- Jervois Copper-Silver-Gold Project - KGL Resources Limited
- Project Sea Dragon - Seafarms Group Limited
- Prelude FLNG - Shell
- Chandler Salt Mine - Tellus Holdings
- Indian Sandalwood expansion - Quintis Limited
- Mount Peake Mine and Metals Processing Facility - TNG Limited
- Ammaroo Phosphate Project - Verdant Minerals Limited
- Mount Todd Gold Mine - Vista Gold
- Ord Stage 3 - Northern Territory Government.
Current government facilitated projects
Government facilitated projects are projects that have the capacity to deliver significant benefits for the NT, however have high commercial risks that prevent the timely development by the private sector.
The NT Government aims to partner with the private sector to deliver these transformative projects.
Current government facilitated projects include:
- Alice Springs tourism commercial development
- Darwin luxury hotel development
- Darwin Ship Lift and Marine Industry Project
- Darwin water theme park
- Mount Isa to Tennant Creek Railway Project
- Seniors lifestyle accommodation.
You can access the below websites for more information on the NT:
Last updated: 23 June 2017