Jobs first - an economic vision for the Territory
The Northern Territory Government acted fast to protect Territorians, and will continue to put Territorians first. Operation Rebound is the Territory Government’s economic recovery strategy for post coronavirus (COVID-19) and the government will do whatever it takes to reconstruct our economy to ensure a strong future for all Territorians.
Operation Rebound also outlines how the Territory Government will work with business and industry to grow private enterprise and attract job creating projects.
The Territory Government is investing in projects that will help boost the economy and create jobs for all Territorians, focussing on the things that will make the biggest difference.
Operation Rebound is about embracing new ideas and bold new ways of doing business to emerge from this health and economic crisis.
For more information get the Operation Rebound green paper.
To ensure this strategy is set up for success a Territory Economic Reconstruction Commission will be established.
The commission will be responsible for providing advice to the Chief Minister and Cabinet on accelerating the Territory’s economic rebound and positioning the Territory for growth.
The Territory Economic Reconstruction Commission will focus on:
- creating jobs in the near term
- options to attract investment, including in regions and remote communities
- priorities for regulatory reform and streamlining approvals to support industry and investment
- how to build on the Territory’s competitive advantage and strategic location
- engagement with the Australian Government, investors and trade partners.
The commission will investigate and advise on the range of factors that could be addressed to ensure a rapid recovery takes place such as government policy reform, priority infrastructure, access to land, regulatory approvals and the availability of finance.
Team Territory will be established as a key reference group of trusted experts that understand the criticality of Operation Rebound and who understand the unique Northern Territory context.
Team Territory will:
- provide specialist advice to the commission
- ensure any recommendations of the commission are achievable and deliver real benefits to Territorians in the short, medium and long term of Operation Rebound
- regularly meet with the chief executive officers on the Jobs Standing Committee of Coord and other relevant agency personnel to ensure accountability for recommendations being implemented
- provide advice about how recommendations should be amended as circumstances change, where demonstrable outcomes for Territorians can be proven
- champion the Territory through positive advocacy, and
- provide six monthly reports on implementation of the final rebound strategy.
Read the Team Territory terms of reference .
Last updated: 22 May 2020
Share this page: