The Department of Trade, Business and Innovation was established on 12 September 2016 and is the Northern Territory (NT) Public Sector's coordinating agency for economic development.
With a vision for a strong vibrant economy for all Territorians, our mission is to drive private investment and create jobs. We are positioned to attract greater investment and trade opportunities to develop the north, enabling the advancement of a skilled and capable workforce and supporting business growth and sustainability.
The department has an annual budget of approximately $216 million and approximately 250 full-time equivalent employees in 2017-18, with a Territory-wide network of regional offices.
Our strategic plan
Strategic Directions 2017-2021 outlines our vision to make the NT a strong, vibrant economy for all Territorians and sets our purpose to drive opportunities to grow private investment and create jobs. We are actively working towards our goals to:
- connect business and government across industries and regions
- foster a culture of innovation in the Territory
- create a pipeline of investment
- grow local capacity and
- achieve excellence in our own business.
View the full version of the strategic directions.
Our structure and executive team
A/Chief Executive Officer, Sibylle Brautigam
Phone: 08 8999 5204
Business and Workforce Capability and Growth, A/Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Luke Bowen
Phone: 08 8999 7324
Business and Innovation NT, Executive Director, Jason Howe
Phone: 08 8999 5218
- Offers assistance and grants to support business and not-for-profits to start.run.grow.
- Small business champions and Territory Business Centres provide support and information.
- Supports business and industry innovation.
- Coordinates Small Business Roundtables.
Workforce NT, Executive Director, Catherine White
Phone: 08 8935 7708
- Offers grants and incentives to support employers in building our local workforce.
- Funds registered training organisations to deliver contemporary training programs to meet current and future employer needs.
- Supports NT employers to attract and retain skilled workers, including through MigrationNT.
- Partners with education providers, businesses and the community to grow the international education and training sector.
Procurement NT, Executive Director, Julie Jenkins
Phone: 08 8999 5427
- Administers whole-of-government procurement legislation, policy and procedures.
- Drives capability development across the NT Public Service.
- Provides strategic procurement advice to agencies and key external stakeholders.
- Provides operational procurement services, support and advice to client agencies.
- Provides support to the Procurement Review Board and the Buy Local Industry Advocate.
Northern Australia Development and Trade, General Manager, Luke Bowen
Phone: 08 8999 6099
Office of International Engagement, Trade and Investment, Executive Director, Scott Wauchope
Phone: 08 8946 9555
- Facilitates new export opportunities and investment into the NT, creating jobs and broadening the economic base.
- Leads the NT’s international engagement to foster stronger diplomatic, cultural, sports and arts connections.
Northern Australia, Economic and Industry Development, Executive Director, Jason Schoolmeester
Phone: 08 8999 3873
- Coordinates strategic engagement with Defence and other governments.
- Works with industry to prepare for future economic opportunities.
- Support the growth of the Territory’s oil and gas industry.
Regional Economic Development, Executive Director Regions, Bill Sankey
Phone: 08 8951 5785
- Operates from Nhulunbuy, Katherine, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs offering a single point of entry for a wider range of departmental trade and investment programs.
- Coordinates regional and Aboriginal economic development activities across the Territory.
Northern Australia Engagement
Phone: 08 8999 6099
- Provides a hub for business and industry involved in progressing development across Northern Australia.
- Supports Northern Australia and Aboriginal economic engagement activities.
Strategic Infrastructure and Projects, General Manager, Anne Tan
Phone: 08 8999 6167
Executive Director, Sam Burke
Phone: 08 8999 6167
- Initiates, coordinates and facilitates private investment in major NT Government-led projects.
- Leads the NT Government’s coordination, facilitation and delivery of major private sector projects.
- Oversees the Major Project Status Policy Framework and facilitates delivery of private sector projects awarded Major Project Status.
- Leads the development and implementation of policies and processes which secure a transparent and accountable approach to NT Government infrastructure assessment, prioritisation and investment.
Strategic Services, Executive Director, Gail Humble
Phone: 08 8999 1829
- Leads the department’s strategic policy development and its strategic communication efforts including coordination of events and sponsorships.
- Manages the department’s corporate services including people and capability, information and business systems, finance, general services, governance and performance.
Get a printable version of the organisational structure
To access previous annual reports email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 08 8999 1803.
- Minister for Northern Australia
- Minister for Trade and Major Projects
- Minister for Business and Innovation
- Minister for Defence Jobs and Veterans Affairs
Hon Selena Uibo - Minister for Workforce Training
Last updated: 01 February 2019